Ah, the triceps!
The triceps, formally known as the triceps brachii, has three muscle heads:
- Medial head
- Lateral head
- Long head
The triceps are positioned on the back of the upper arm. There are attachments both at the shoulder joint and the elbow joint.
The focus of this week’s star exercise is the action of the triceps at the elbow, which is extension, or straightening of the elbow.
A tricep pulldown is a great way to strengthen this portion of the triceps without putting too much stress on the elbow joint. This exercise is also a great alternative to a classic push-up if you find a push-up is uncomfortable for the elbows.
Literally the only thing you need for this is a resistance band! A single resistance band, such as what is used with the FitRanger Resistance Kit or the Posture PT Resistance Exerciser , will work the best. Light, medium, or heavy resistance can be used based on your comfort level and what is most effective for your workout.
Let’s do this!
Step 1: Starting position:
- Standing with the feet hip width apart for a solid base of support.
- Hold one end of the band in each hand.
- Place the hand on the non-working arm on your chest.
- Position the working arm by your side with the elbow bent.
Step 2: The Tricep Pulldown:
- Straighten the elbow on the working arm.
- Slowly return to your starting position.
- Repeat 10-15 repetitions for 2-3 sets.
- Repeat on the opposite arm.
That’s all there is to it!