If you’re looking for a dynamic strengthening exercise to target multiple shoulder muscles, then you’ve found it!
Shoulder diagonals with a resistance band will work a variety of muscles, including the following:
- Rotator cuff
- The trapezius muscles
- Latissimus dorsi
- Proximal triceps
You’ll need a resistance band for this (light, medium, or heavy resistance). A band similar to those in the FitRanger Resistance Kit or the Posture PT Resistance Exerciser will work great.
Step 1: Starting position:
- Standing tall with the feet shoulder width apart
- Holding one end of the band in each hand, position the arms forward in front of you, about shoulder height
- Face the palms down towards the floor
Step 2: Move into the diagonal:
- Open the arms, with one arm moving out and up to an upward diagonal and the other moving out and down to a downward diagonal
- Hold for 2 seconds, then return to your starting position
- Now, repeat the same motion but reverse the diagonals.
- Repeat 10 repetitions each diagonal for 2-3 sets.
You should feel the burn after this one!
Remember, you can always advance the exercise by increasing the amount of resistance you’re using or by increasing the number of reps and/or sets.