Some of the key muscles you’ll be activating with horizontal abduction include the following:
- Middle trapezius
- Lower trapezius
- Posterior deltoid
You can either tie a resistance band around a doorknob or utilize one with a door anchor attached, such as the ShoulderFit Resistance Exerciser.
Let’s do it!
Step 1: Starting Position:
- Stand next to the door so that the working arm will be further away from the door (this will help you determine which direction to face).
- Holding the resistance band, stretch the arm straight forward in front of you.
- The arm should be at a 90-degree angle with the palm facing in the direction of the door.
- Make sure to stand with a tall posture.
Step 2: Horizontal Abduction:
- Retract or squeeze the shoulder blade on the working side directly inward.
- While maintaining a straight arm, move the arm directly to the side, away from the door.
- Move the arm as far as your range of motion is comfortable with (this should be pain-free!) but move no further than the arm being even with the shoulder.
- Hold for up to 2 seconds, then return to your starting position.
- Repeat 10-15x for 2-3 sets.
There you have it!